Sunday, September 19, 2010
The most exciting part of a trip to D.C., besides all the monuments, free museums, wide variety of food, invigorating musical and theatrical performances, and plethora of parks, is, of course, the metro system. Here are some tips for making friends on the metro system, all of which my father and I were able to implement this weekend.
  1. Talk very loudly about personal matters. This weekend, my father wanted to know about the date that I had gone on just before I picked him up at Union Station. I of course told him that he was a nice guy, tall and handsome, that I was quite attracted to him, but that kissing him was a little awkward and forced, and that I wondered if he was crazy like all of my ex boyfriends. I did this loud enough so that our neighbors could hear, because I used my Midwestern sensibilities to notice that they were definitely intrigued- nay, fascinated - by my story.
  2. Fall into people. Honestly, humans crave physical touch, so this is really the most personal way to make friends on the metro. Make sure that you bring luggage, too, so that your luggage can fall into them as well - for what is physical touch without a little baggage?
  3. Explain the metro system by crawling over people to point at the map. Most D.C. residents need a bit of a refresher, anyway.
  4. Get stuck in the doorway. This provides a distraction from more boring incidents, and gives you a longer time together to practice your friend-making skills.
  5. Stand in the passing lane on the escalator. Nothing will help you make friends more quickly than standing on the left side of the escalator. District residents love to give friendly reminders as to the protocol of standing on the right, walking on the left. Conversations started in this way frequently end up in recipe exchanges, so give it a try!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Proof that people like to be touched:
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=129931999

If someone looks at you funny, you might comfort them by saying, "It's ok. I'm a doctor."

Unknown said...

PS- Funny, people in New York do not appreciate any of these friend-making techniques. DC must be friendlier because it is farther south.

Followers

Powered by Blogger.